Read text from anywhere, but just learn to solve the following 15 exercises. This is the trick I use to learn a new language.
- “Display series of numbers (1,2,3,4, 5….etc) in an infinite loop.
The program should quit if someone hits a specific key (Say ESCAPE
- “Fibonacci series, swapping two variables, finding maximum/minimum among a list of numbers.”
- “Accepting series of numbers, strings from keyboard and sorting them ascending, descending order.”
- “Reynolds number is calculated using formula (D*v*rho)/mu Where D =
Diameter, V= velocity, rho = density mu = viscosity Write a program that
will accept all values in appropriate units (Don’t worry about unit
conversion) If number is <>
- “Modify the
above program such that it will ask for ‘Do you want to calculate again
(y/n), if you say ‘y’, it’ll again ask the parameters. If ‘n’, it’ll
exit. (Do while loop) While running the program give value mu = 0. See
what happens. Does it give ‘DIVIDE BY ZERO’ error? Does it give
‘Segmentation fault..core dump?’. How to handle this situation. Is there
something built in the language itself? (Exception Handling)”
- “Scientific calculator supporting addition, subtraction,
multiplication, division, square-root, square, cube, sin, cos, tan,
Factorial, inverse, modulus”
- “Printing output
in different formats (say rounding up to 5 decimal places, truncating
after 4 decimal places, padding zeros to the right and left, right and
left justification)(Input output operations)”
- “Open a text file and convert it into HTML file. (File operations/Strings)”
- “Time and Date : Get system time and convert it in different formats ‘DD-MON-YYYY’, ‘mm-dd-yyyy’, ‘dd/mm/yy’ etc.”
- “Create files with date and time stamp appended to the name”
- “Input is HTML table. Remove all tags and put data in a comma/tab separated file.”
- “Extract uppercase words from a file, extract unique words.”
- “Implement word wrapping feature (Observe how word wrap works in windows ‘notepad’).”
- “Adding/removing items in the beginning, middle and end of the array.”
- “Are these features supported by your language: Operator overloading, virtual functions, references, pointers etc.”
Do not worry about the GUI for the time being.
Exercise source: http://technish.blogspot.